Skills dimensions of migration to promote decent employment for all
In 2017 an estimated 258 million people were living in a country other than their country of birth, up from 173 million in 2000 and often they do not enjoy decent work conditions. Moreover, the simultaneous inflows and outflows of migration are experienced today by more countries.
In this context the European Training Foundation together with the International Training Centre of the ILO (ITC/ILO) has developed a course on "Skills dimensions of migration to promote decent employment for all". This activity is focused on different skills dimensions of migration in all phases of the migrants’ lifecycle, as well as how to design successful programs aiming migrant workers’ decent employment, which can be implemented before, during and after migration.
The course includes sessions on the following aspects:
- Skills anticipation and matching
- Transparency, recognition and portability of skills
- Skills development for migrant workers before, during and after migration
Participants will connect to a global network of professionals operating in skills-related programs for migrant workers. They will be able to improve their contribution to quality skills-related policies and programs for migrant workers by:
- Understanding skills anticipation tools to identify job rich sectors for regular migration
- Getting acquainted with the best ways of matching migrants skills with the international jobs and main challenges associated with recruitment
- Assessing the importance of skills recognition issues and challenges linked to the transparency and quality of qualifications
- Being able to conceive skills development actions for migration-related target groups aiming at fostering their decent employment
- Being aware of the (positive and negative) implications of skills-related mobility and the value of skills partnership between the countries of origin and destination
The course takes place on 2-6 September in Turin, Italy.
Did you like this article? If you would like to be notified when new content like this is published, subscribe to receive our email alerts.