Moldovan teachers going digital
Digital skills are one of the key competences to access the job market, and have a huge impact on teaching methods. According to some recent statistics [ETF Experts], vocational education and training teachers in Moldova are increasingly aware of the importance of learning and teaching ICT skills.
Data shows that around 65% of vocational education teachers in the country expressed the need for training in ICT methodologies for teaching. Also, three out of four teachers claimed that professional development in new technologies has a moderate, or even a high, high impact on their teaching.
Use of digital resources by vocational education teachers in Moldova. Source: ETF.
Despite teachers awareness on their need to increase their digital skills, some challenges are to be further addressed:
- Teachers need to be further qualified to deliver ICT-based teaching;
- vocational education and training should become closer with ICT business.
Moldova is showing an overall good trend regarding ICT as some international rankings shows (2018):
- 59th out of 175 countries for ICT Development Index;
- 65th out of 193 countries for e-Government Readiness Index;
- 46th place out of 128 for Global Innovation Index;
- 71th out of 139 countries for Networked Readiness Index Business - usage of ICT is the lowest pillar (3.2 out of 7 points).