Assuring quality in vocational training
The ETF approach to promoting quality assurance in VET is based on a conceptual framework focusing on five key policy areas: policy and governance; qualifications standards; provision; assessment, validation, certification and data. It comprises sample measures and indicators, has a European and international perspective, and aims to support the development of a quality culture. More details can be found in the ETF publication "Promoting quality assurance in vocational education and training: the ETF approach".
In 2017, ETF launched the Forum for Quality Assurance in VET. Representatives with responsibilities for quality assurance in VET from government ministries and national authorities/agencies from South-Eastern Europe, Turkey, Southern and Eastern Mediterranean, Eastern Partnership countries participate. Member countries are supported in modernising and improving quality assurance in VET through transnational peer learning. Aligning with EU policy for quality assurance in VET, including the Reference Framework, and linking with the EQAVET Network provides access to EU/Member States’ developments and facilitates wider networking.
Since its establishment, the forum members have been engaged in the following activities:
- Monitoring and reporting on their quality assurance systems and mechanisms (Search Results | ETF (europa.eu);
- Mapping the understanding, relevance, coverage, usage and characteristics of data collection of the EQAVET indicators (link to the mapping instrument: https://openspace.etf.europa.eu/resources/etf-forum-quality-assurance-v…)
- Participating in several peer learning activities either organised by the forum such as the Peer Visit hosted by the ETF Forum member institution for Tunisia that focused on quality assurance measures related to the certification process of the pedagogical training of VET trainers in Tunisia or the EQAVET network such as The EQAVET Forum 2018 about the learner’s voice as part of quality assurance. Consult the ETF Peer-visit guidance and training manual.
During the COVID pandemic, the forum organised several webinars that targeted wider public going beyond its members. Several quality assurance measures were covered during these webinars: graduate tracking and the use of information to adjust training provision, schools self-assessment, peer visit as an external evaluation tools, QA and work-based learning, assessment of teachers and trainers’ performance. All these webinar have been recorded and available at the following links:
- Webinar on graduate tracking
- ETF webinar on assessment of teachers' and trainers' performance | Open Space (europa.eu)
- ETF webinar on peer visits as external evaluation tool | Open Space (europa.eu)
- Webinar on self-assessment of schools: experience of Estonia and Montenegro | Open Space (europa.eu)
- Webinar on quality assurance of work-based learning