|This is a re-advertisement and previous candidates need not reapply.|
VACANCY NOTICE N° ETF/REC/07/03
Senior Experts in Education and Training Policy and System Reform
The ETF is seeking to set up a reserve list of Senior Experts in education and training policy and system reform.
Job profile (summary)
To enter into policy discussions with high level counterparts in ETF partner countries*.
This is a high visibility job that would allow you to have access to the international arena where public policies are made in the field of education and training as well as exposure to the intrinsic relationships between EU and its members and their partners.
Suitable candidates must have experience in policy analysis, development and advice in the field of education and training and its relation with Labour Market and Employment.
Closing date for applications: 17 April 2007 at 23.59 (Central European Time)
Contract type and grade: Temporary Agent AD 9
Contract: Initial contract duration: 5 years (subject to a probation period of 6 months)
Net monthly salary shall be at least € 5,520.
The salary is not subject to national taxation.
In addition, ETF offers attractive benefits in line with those of European Union Civil Servants. Further details about the contractual conditions offered by the ETF can be found in the Working with the ETF section of the ETF website.
The ETF is an EU agency whose mission is to assist partner countries in developing quality education and training systems and in putting them into practice. We share expertise and advice on policies in education and training across regions and cultures. Working on behalf of the EU, we help our partner countries to develop a skilled labour force to promote better living conditions, active citizenship and democratic societies that respect human rights and cultural diversity.
The ETF is based in Turin, northern Italy, and has a staff of approximately 100. Further information on our activities can be found on our website: http://www.etf.europa.eu.
The ETF offers an exciting work environment with flexible work organisation and high levels of individual responsibility. As a learning and knowledge sharing organisation, we promote and offer excellent opportunities for the continued professional development of our staff.
The Senior Expert posts will be offered within the Operations Department, which deals with the regions covered by the three future EU instruments: Instrument for Pre-Accession, European Neighbourhood Policy Instrument and Development Cooperation and Economic Cooperation Instrument. The Operations Department develops and manages ETF support to education and training system reform and its relation to labour market and employment in the three regions as part of the European Union’s external relations policy.
Reporting to the Head of Operations Department, the successful candidate(s) will be responsible for:
- Facilitating policy learning in partner countries through the provision of knowledge, instruments, and methodologies relevant to education and training, directly or through the initiation and management of projects;
- Developing analysis on education and training systems and policies in countries in the regions and/or specific thematic analysis;
- Providing expert support to ETF country managers in assisting European Commission services at different stages of the project cycle: programming, identification, appraisal, follow-up, and evaluation;
- Actively contributing to the continuing development of the ETF as a centre of expertise by promoting the sharing of expertise with an emphasis on the translation of EU policies into new approaches in education and training for transition and developing countries;
- Ensuring sound implementation of procurement, administrative and financial procedures, in line with the legal and financial regulations applied at ETF.
In addition to a university degree, candidates must have at least 12 years professional experience in:
- Education and training policy and its links with the labour market and employment;
- AND working in transition and developing countries in the field of education and training or labour market;
- AND/OR in EU external relations policies, programmes and instruments or similar.
Candidates must have experience in one or more of the following fields:
§ Economics of education and training;
§ Governance, financing, legislation and quality assurance of education and training;
§ Labour market and employment with particular attention to economic analysis and labour economy;
§ Training policy solutions for issues such as migration or gender;
§ Other fields of reform linked to education and training and its external environment such as education and training for socio-economic development, poverty reduction, social inclusion;
§ Links between VET and other stages of education, such as primary, secondary and higher education, in a lifelong learning perspective;
§ Monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment of education and training, policies and programmes.
Required technical competencies
§ Capacity demonstrated in national policy documents to which the candidate was the main (or one of) the main contributor(s);
§ Project management skills;
§ Good IT skills (especially Word for Windows);
§ Excellent business writing, presentation, and public speaking skills** in English.
Required core competences
§ Good inter-personal and teamworking skills;
§ Good communication and negotiation skills;
§ Analysis, synthesis and problem solving skills;
§ Capacity to work effectively in an international and multi-cultural environment;
§ Coaching and mentoring skills.
§ Some financial, procurement and legal skills;
§ In-depth knowledge and direct experience with EU policy developments on education and training;
§ Proven experience in cooperation/networking with national and international partners, in particular with EU institutions;
§ Good knowledge*** of French and/or Russian and/or Arabic.
To be considered eligible, applicants must satisfy the following requirements by the closing date for the submission of applications:
1. Be a national of an EU Member State or an ETF Partner Country or Territory;
2. Enjoy full rights as a citizen;
3. Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by law concerning military service;
4. Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post;
5. Have level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least four years attested by a diploma, followed by at least twelve years of appropriate professional experience;
Have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three yearsattested by a diploma, followed by at least thirteen years of appropriate professional experience;
6. Have a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Communities and satisfactory knowledge of another language of the Communities to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties.
The ETF is calling for applications to establish a reserve list of suitable candidates for AD 9 Temporary Agent positions. This reserve list will be valid for 24 months from the date of the establishment of the list and its duration may be extended by decision of the Director.
During this period, and depending on the number of suitable vacancies that become available, candidates on the reserve list may be offered a Temporary Agent contract with an initial duration of five years, subject to a probation period of 6 months. Contracts can only be renewed once for a fixed period of up to 5 years.
Eligibility of candidates will be firstly assessed according to compliance with all eligibility criteria by the closing date for the submission of applications. The recruitment assessment board will assess the competences and skills of all applicants and will invite for an interview the most suitable candidates.
Interviews are expected to take place in June/July 2007 and will be held in English.
The recruitment assessment board’s work and deliberations are strictly confidential and any contact with the board members is strictly forbidden.
N.B.:A candidate who has applied for the position of Senior Expert may be considered, with his/her agreement, for the selection procedure of Expert, at AD7 level.
Further to the interviews and tests, a reserve list of the most suitable candidates will be proposed by the recruitment assessment board to the Director. The Director will decide on the establishment of the list.
When a Senior Expert position becomes vacant, the Director may offer a contract of employment to a successful candidate from the established reserve list. Inclusion on the reserve list does not guarantee being offered a position.
The reserve list will remain valid for a period of 24 months following the closing date stipulated. Candidates whose names are on the reserve list may be offered a contract during this period.
Prior to contract signature, the successful candidate will be asked:
- to provide original or certified copies of all relevant documents proving his/her eligibility, including an extract from his/her national police file;
- to undergo a compulsory medical examination to establish that he/she meets the standard of physical fitness necessary to perform the duties involved.
Submission of applications
Interested candidates are invited to send their applications via the ‘Job vacancies’ section of the ETF website. The following documents must be provided in English:
§ a typed motivation letter of no more than one page, explaining why the candidate is interested in the post and what her/his added value would be to the ETF if selected;
§ a curriculum vitae using the Europass CV format, available on the ETF website (other formats will not be considered);
§ at least three sets of contact details for past or current employers (to be specified under the “Additional Information” paragraph of the Europass CV form) that the ETF will use as references.
Applications may also be sent by fax to the ETF Personnel Unit at the following number: (+39) 011 630 23 88.
Only applications submitted online through the ETF website or by fax and using the Europass CV format will be accepted.
In order to be considered, applications must be received by the closing date for submission and, if sent by fax, clearly quote the reference number ETF/REC/07/03.
Closing date for the submission of applications: 17 April 2007 at 23.59 (Central European Time).
Due to the volume of applications, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted further.
The ETF is an equal opportunities employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
EU legislation on personal data protection and confidentiality of information will apply to all personal data collected for this selection process. The application documents provided during the selection procedure will not be returned to candidates, but will be kept on file at the ETF.
* The ETF partner countries and territories are: Albania, Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Egypt, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Georgia, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Moldova, Morocco, Romania, Russian Federation, Serbia and Montenegro, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and West Bank and Gaza Strip.
** Equivalent to C1 level as defined in the Europass CV instructions
*** Equivalent to B1 level as defined in the Europass CV instructions
You can download the pdf version