|Senior Experts in Education and Training Policy and System Reform|
Vacancy Notice N° ETF/REC/06/11
The ETF (European Training Foundation) is an EU agency whose mission is to assist partner countries in developing quality education and training systems and in putting them into practice. We share expertise and advice on policies in education and training across regions and cultures. Working on behalf of the EU, we help our partner countries to develop a skilled labour force to promote better living conditions, active citizenship and democratic societies that respect human rights and cultural diversity.
The ETF is based in Turin, northern Italy, and has a staff of approximately 100. Further information on our activities can be found on our website: http://www.etf.europa.eu.
The ETF offers an exciting work environment with flexible work organisation and high levels of individual responsibility. As a learning and knowledge sharing organisation, we promote and offer excellent opportunities for the continued professional development of our staff.
The senior expert posts will be offered within the Operations Department, which deals with the regions covered by the three future EU instruments: Instrument for Pre-Accession, European Neighbourhood Policy Instrument and Development Cooperation and Economic Cooperation Instrument. The Operations Department develops and manages ETF support to education and training system reform and its relation to labour market and employment in the three regions as part of the European Union’s external relations policy.
This is a high visibility job that would allow you to have access to the international arena where public policies are made in the field of education and training as well as exposure to the intrinsic relationships between EU and its members and their partners.
The ETF is calling for applications to establish an ongoing reserve list. Interviews will be conducted quarterly starting November, 2006. Two posts are available immediately.
The posts are open to people on detachment (being dispatched to ETF from other public service body for special termed missions). Candidates on the reserve list may be offered a contract with an initial duration of three years. Contracts may be renewed based on the organisation needs. The minimum monthly net salary is not subject to national taxation. ETF offers attractive benefits similar to those of European Union civil servants. Further details about the contractual conditions offered by the ETF can be found in the “Working with ETF” section of the ETF website.
Only applications in the acceptable ETF format will be reviewed by the recruitment assessment board, who will verify the eligibility criteria. Suitable candidates will be called for interviews and testing. References will be checked. The recruitment assessment board’s work and deliberations are strictly confidential and any contact with the board members is strictly forbidden.
Further to the interviews and tests, a reserve list of the most suitable candidates will be proposed by the recruitment assessment board to the Director. The Director will decide on the establishment of the list. When an expert position becomes vacant, the Director may offer a contract of employment to a successful candidate from the established reserve list. Inclusion on the reserve list does not guarantee a post.
Prior to contract signature, the successful candidate will be asked: to provide original or certified copies of all relevant documents proving his/her eligibility, including an extract from his/her national police file; to undergo a compulsory medical examination to establish that he/she meets the standard of physical fitness necessary to perform the duties involved.
The ETF is an equal opportunities employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. EU legislation on personal data protection and confidentiality of information will apply to all personal data collected for this selection process. The application documents provided during the selection procedure will not be returned to candidates, but will be kept on file at the ETF.
Ongoing posting for a reserve list for senior experts.
Interviews conducted quarterly.
The 1st deadline for submission of CVs is 30 September 2006 and every 3 months after that.
Type of contract: Temporary Agent
Length of contract: 3 years
Working language: English
Open to Partner Countries*: YES
SENIOR EXPERTS IN EDUCATION AND TRAINING POLICY AND SYSTEM REFORM
Minimum monthly salary
6,400 € not subject to national taxation
To enter into policy discussions with high level counterparts in ETF partner countries*
12 years in:
A. Education and training policy and its links with the labour market and employment;
B. AND working in transition and developing countries in the field of education and training or labour market;
C. AND/OR in EU external relations policies, programmes and instruments or similar.
Candidate must be experienced in one or more fields of interest:
- Economics of education and training;
- Governance, financing, legislation and quality assurance of education and training;
- Labour market and employment with particular attention to economic analysis and labour economy;
- Training policy solutions for issues such as migration or gender;
- Other fields of reform linked to education and training and its external environment such as education and training for socio-economic development, poverty reduction, social inclusion;
- Links between VET and other stages of education, such as primary, secondary and higher education, in a lifelong learning perspective;
- Monitoring and evaluation of education and training policies and programmes.
Head of Operations Department.
- Facilitating policy learning in partner countries through the provision of knowledge, instruments, and methodologies relevant to education and training, directly or through the initiation and management of projects;
- Developing analysis on education and training systems and policies in countries in the regions and/or specific thematic analysis;
- Providing expert support to ETF country managers in assisting European Commission services at different stages of the project cycle: programming, identification, appraisal, follow-up, and evaluation;
- Actively contributing to the continuing development of the ETF as a centre of expertise by promoting the sharing of expertise with an emphasis on the translation of EU policies into new approaches in education and training for transition and developing countries;
- Ensuring sound implementation of procurement, administrative and financial procedures, in line with the legal and financial regulations applied by the ETF.
- Capacity to work in teams in an international & multi-cultural environment;
- Effective communication including excellent business writing, presentation, and public speaking skills in English;
- Analysis, synthesis and problem solving skills;
- Service orientation skills;
- Negotiation skills;
- Analytical skills and capacity demonstrated in national policy documents to which the candidate was the main (or one of) the main contributor(s);
- Project management skills;
- Coaching and Mentoring skills.
- Some financial, procurement and legal skills;
- In-depth knowledge and direct experience with EU policy developments on education and training;
- Proven experience in cooperation/networking with national and international partners, in particular with EU institutions.
Required: 2 EU languages
Desired: French or Arabic or Russian
Info & Computer Technology Skills
Required: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Desired: Access, Visio, Lotus Notes
3 of people who can be contacted regard work/school performance
1 page in English
ETF CV format to be downloaded from ETF Website. No other format will be accepted
To be considered eligible, applicants must satisfy the following requirements on the closing date for the submission of applications:
1. be a national of an EU Member State, or ETF Partner Countries or Territories;
2. enjoy full rights as a citizen;
3. have fulfilled any obligations imposed by law concerning military service;
4. be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post;
5. have a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Communities and satisfactory knowledge of another language of the Communities to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties;
6. have a four-year university diploma followed by at least twelve years of appropriate professional experience
have a three-year university diploma followed by at least thirteen years of appropriate professional experience.
*The ETF partner countries and territories are: Albania, Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Egypt, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Georgia, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Moldova, Morocco, Montenegro, Romania, Russian Federation, Serbia, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and West Bank and Gaza Strip.
Find attached the ETF CV form for this vacancy: