|Vacancy notice ETF/REC/11/08|
Assistants/Secretaries - Creation of a reserve list
Contract: Contract Agent – Function group II
Contract duration: 3 years (subject to a probation period of 9 months)
The Employer: European Training Foundation
The European Training Foundation (ETF) is an EU agency that helps transition and developing countries1 to reform their education, training and labour market systems.
At the ETF we believe that the development of human resources through education and training is vital in encouraging sustainable economic growth, regional cohesion and social inclusion in transition countries. Our purpose is to improve people’s lives, increase local prosperity and create sustainable growth. Our work in human capital development (HCD) is part of the EU’s external relations policy.
Based in Torino, northern Italy, the ETF has a staff of approximately 130 people.
The ETF provides an exciting and flexible working environment with a high level of individual responsibility. As a learning organisation we encourage and offer our staff excellent opportunities for continued professional development.
To find out more about the ETF and what we do, please go to: www.etf.europa.eu
The jobholder will:
- Provide logistic and clerical support with a view to ensuring efficient coordination for the:
- organisation of internal meetings, including collection of documents/contributions and their composition as aggregated documents,
- minute taking,
- follow up of information flows and deadlines.
- Provide clerical support in terms of :
- drafting correspondence and preparation of presentations,
- proof-reading of documents at least in English,
- registering, distributing, printing, copying and filing documentation,
- managing e-mails accounts/calendars.
- Support other activities of the assigned Unit/Department as deemed necessary such as:
- organisation of external events and meetings,
- input and maintenance of databases,
- follow-up of financial transactions,
- arranging work trips.
To be eligible, applicants must satisfy the following requirements by the closing date for the submission of applications:
1. Be a national of an EU Member State.
2. Enjoy full rights as a citizen.
3. Have fulfilled any obligations of military service as required by national law.
4. Be physically fit to perform the duties of the position.
5. Have a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma,
Have a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education and at least three years of appropriate professional experience after that diploma.
6. Have a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Communities and satisfactory knowledge of another language of the Communities to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties.
The ideal candidates shall have a recent professional experience of between 2 and 7 years, at an administrative support level corresponding to the job profile described. In addition, they are required to possess the competences and skills listed below.
- Very well developed organisational and executional skills – i.e. the ability to achieve tangible results while fulfilling commitments (deadlines, budgets, objectives etc.) and respecting high standards of quality and performance;
- Very good team working skills – i.e. the ability to establish and maintain excellent working relations in the multicultural context of the ETF both at team and individual levels;
- Good service orientation skills – i.e. the ability to deliver solutions that meet needs, take care of both internal and external customers and anticipate their needs;
- Analysing skills – i.e. the ability to tackle issues and problems in a logical, step by step way, to have a systematic approach to analysing issues;
- Communication skills – i.e. the ability to organise and present information, express opinions and views in a concise and understandable way within the organisation and/or externally.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL COMPETENCES
- Proven capacity to use computerised office tools (especially MS Office applications such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint),
- Proven capacity in advanced word processing (including formatting and mail merges),
- Very good writing, reading, speaking and listening skills in English2.
In addition to the above, candidates will be requested to be able to manage confidential information and documentation as well as to ensure a high degree of accuracy.
Furthermore, it would be advantageous to have one or more assets listed below:
- Have professional experience at an administrative support level in at least one of the following fields:
- Personal assistance to a manager,
- Human resources,
- Communication and/or events organisation,
- Finance and/or procurement.
- Have professional experience in an international organisation;
- Knowledge of EU administrative and/or financial and/or procurement procedures;
- Knowledge of financial management tools and/or softwares (such as ABAC financial software);
- Knowledge of digital communication tools (such as websites and social media);
- Good knowledge3 of French and/or Italian and/or Russian and/or Arabic.
Please note that the Selection Assessment Board (SAB)’s work and deliberations are strictly confidential and any contact with them is prohibited.
The selection procedure will be carried out in three phases:
Phase 1 – screening of eligibility
Applicants’ compliance with the eligibility criteria and the formal requirements will be assessed by the SAB on the basis of the CV.
1.2 Selection for interview
On the basis of the CV and selection criteria form provided, the SAB will assess candidates’ profiles against that of the job profile published and that of the selection criteria. It will invite (for interview and written tests) the applicants whose CV and selection criteria form are judged to be most in line with the job profile and the selection criteria.
Phase 2 – Interviews and tests
The SAB will assess the competences and skills of the applicants, as well as the declared assets by means of an interview and written tests.
This phase is expected to take place late November/early December 2011 and will be mostly held in English.
The technical written tests will cover the following areas:
- General aptitude and language skills to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties linked to the post;
- Specific competences according to the profile required for the vacancy;
- Knowledge of the European integration and its institutions.
Phase 3 – Establishment of the reserve list and possible job offer(s)
Further to the submission of the list by the SAB, the Director will establish a reserve list with the most suitable candidates.
This reserve list will be valid for twelve months from the date of its establishment and its duration may be modified by a decision of the Director.
Inclusion in the reserve list does not guarantee being offered a job.
When an assistant/secretary position as Contract Agent, Function Group II, becomes vacant or needs to be covered, the Director may offer a job to the candidate in the reserve list whose profile best matches ETF needs at that time.
The contract that may be offered to a candidate in the reserve list is a three-year contract as Contract Agent, Function Group II, subject to a probation period of nine months.
Contract Agent contracts are in accordance with article 3(a) of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities.
Under this type of contract, the employee is bound by the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants (CEOS) of the European Communities as well as the relevant Implementing Rules. The contract might be extended according to article 85 of the CEOS.
ETF will be bound to the contract offered only in case the successful candidate(s), prior to the contract signature, has:
- provided original or certified copies of all relevant documents proving his/her eligibility, including a clean police report;
- undergone a compulsory medical examination that establishes s/he meets the standard of physical fitness necessary to perform the duties involved.
You can find out more about the contractual conditions offered by the ETF in the Working with the ETF section of the ETF website.
The basic monthly salary of Contract Agent Function Group II in the minimum grade and step that can be awarded (grade 4, step 1) is approximately EUR 1,900 before any tax and social security contribution deductions.
Remuneration will be based on the Community scale of salaries. Pay is subject to Community tax and other deductions laid down in the Staff Regulations. Remuneration is, however, exempt from any national taxation.
In addition to the basic salary, staff members may be entitled to various allowances, in particular family allowances, expatriation allowance (4% or 16% of basic salary) and, if applicable, of household and dependent child allowances.
Submission of applications
Candidates are invited to send their applications via the ETF website, section the Collaborate- tenders and careers.
Applications may exceptionally be sent by fax to the ETF HR Team at the following number: (+39) 011 630 23 88 provided that they clearly quote the reference number ETF/REC/11/08.
The closing date for the submission of applications is 28 October 2011 at 23.59 (Central European Time).
The following documentation must all be provided in English and by the closing date:
- A typed motivation letter of no more than one page, explaining why the candidate is interested in an assistant/secretarial position;
- A curriculum vitae using the Europass CV format,available on the ETF website (other formats will not be considered);
- At least two sets of contact details for past or current employers (to be specified under the “Additional Information” paragraph of the Europass CV form) that the ETF will use as references;
- The form named ‘Selection criteria form’ available on the ETF website to indicate how the candidate matches each of the points under the Selection Criteria section.
Please note that only applications submitted online through the ETF website or by fax, using the Europass CV formatand comprising all information and/or documents listed under “formal requirements” above and in Englishwill be accepted.
If any one of the above listed documents is missing or eligibility criteria are not met, the application will not progress any further.
Due to the high volume of applications, only applicants invited for interview will be contacted further.
The application documents provided during the selection procedure will not be returned to candidates, but will be kept on file at the ETF for as long is necessary for the process and then destroyed.
EU legislation on personal data protection and confidentiality of information will apply to all personal data collected for this selection process.
- The ETF partner countries and territories are: Albania, Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Egypt, former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Georgia, Iceland, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo (under UNSCR 1244), Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Montenegro, Morocco, Occupied Palestinian Territory, Republic of Moldova, Russian Federation, Serbia, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.
- Equivalent to minimum C1 level for all dimensions as defined in the Europass CV instructions.
- Equivalent to minimum B1 level for all dimensions as defined in the Europass CV instructions.
You can download the pdf version of the vacancy:
Selection criteria form to be filled in and attached to your application: