|Vacancy notice ETF/REC/10/03|
Contract: Contract Agent – Function Group III
Contract duration: 3 years (subject to a probation period of 9 months)
The Employer: ETF
The European Training Foundation (ETF) is an EU agency that helps transition and developing countries to reform their education, training and labour market systems.
At the ETF we believe that the development of human resources through education and training is vital in encouraging social inclusion in transition countries.
Our purpose is to improve people’s lives, increase local prosperity and create sustainable growth. Our work in human capital development (HCD) is part of the EU’s external relations policy.
Based in Torino, northern Italy, the ETF has a staff of approximately 130 people.
The ETF provides an exciting and flexible working environment with a high level of individual responsibility. As a learning and sharing organisation we encourage and offer our staff excellent opportunities for continued professional development.
To find out more about the ETF and what we do, please go to www.etf.europa.eu.
The vacancy is within the ETF Communication Unit, which provides support to all ETF communication activities and coordinates them on all levels, whether they are corporate, departmental or individual.
The ETF Communication Unit provides common strategies and guidelines for ETF corporate communication and the tools to strengthen and develop ETF communications with the outside world and with each other. Its mission being to produce and disseminate high quality information, both online and printed, on key ETF issues to a wide audience comprising policymakers, partners and practitioners.
Namely, information is provided on ETF activities contributing actively to the international debate on human capital development by disseminating ETF work, activities and results in events, conferences and media in the EU and partner countries, as well as at the international level.
ETF's information and communication services and activities include publications, periodicals, internet, intranet, audiovisual products, media, corporate conferences, meetings and events.
The Communication Officer will participate in the realisation of the assigned Unit’s mission and objectives. S/he will contribute to the external communications function at the ETF particularly in the areas of press and media, publications and the website.
Reporting to Head of ETF Communication Unit the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Writing texts for publications including articles, press releases, letters and background notes with a view to promoting ETF interests, values and policies;
- Supporting the regular update of ETF digital communication tools with news articles and other content including multimedia material;
- Supporting the development of the social media aspects of the ETF’s communication work;
- Supporting the networking and the development of contacts with the media in the EU and in the partner countries;
- Supporting the management of the publications production process including coordination of production with external suppliers and distribution of publications;
- Editing and copyediting texts for publication and supporting the improvement of the quality of ETF communication material;
- Supporting the monitoring of the effectiveness and use of ETF publications.
To be eligible, applicants must satisfy the following requirements by the closing date for the submission of applications:
- Be a national of an EU Member State;
- Enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- Have fulfilled any obligations of military service as required by national law;
- Be physically fit to perform the duties of the position;
- Have a level of education equivalent to a post-secondary education attested by a diploma; or a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education, followed by appropriate professional experience of at least three years;
- Have a thorough knowledge in one of the languages of the Community countries and have a satisfactory knowledge of another, to the extent that they can communicate well enough to perform their duties.
REQUIRED KEY CORE COMPETENCES
- Good communication skills with a view to identifying, formulating and transmitting key messages in both written and spoken forms;
- Excellent team working skills;
- Highly developed analysing skills;
- Highly developed organising and execution skills – i.e. ability to design and implement suitable solutions, to achieve tangible results whilst fulfilling commitments (deadlines, budgets, objectives etc) and respecting high standards of performance;
- Good adapting skills – i.e. ability to adapt programmes and views proposing ways to meet context needs and to work well in situations that require openness to different ideas and experiences. Ability to manage different situations and/or problems with an open approach;
- Being service oriented.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL COMPETENCES
- Excellent writing skills (including drafting for periodicals, publications and websites – candidates are asked to provide examples of articles published – see Section on Submission of Applications);
- Very good editing (and formatting document) skills;
- Knowledge of the publication production process and related technologies and solution options;
- Very good knowledge1 of English (both spoken and written);
- Good general knowledge of the European Union and its institutions.
- Working experience of at least 2 years in digital content/social media;
- Capacity to use specialised graphic design and multimedia software;
- Knowledge of Search Engine Optimisation and web analytics;
- Familiarity with Lotus Notes;
- Good knowledge2 of French and/or Arabic and/or Russian.
The selection procedure will be carried out in two phases:
Phase 1 – screening of eligibility and selection criteria
- Candidates will be assessed according to compliance with the eligibility criteria.
- The selection assessment board will then consider the technical competences of eligible applicants on the basis of the CV provided and invite the most suitable candidates to the second phase.
- Candidates selected for the second phase will be notified via e-mail.
Phase 2 – interviews and tests
Please note that the selection assessment board’s work and deliberations are strictly confidential and any contact with the board members is prohibited.
- Candidates short-listed will then be called for an interview with the selection assessment board.
- Interviews are expected to take place between May and June 2010 and will be held in English.
- Candidates will also be asked to undergo a series of written tests. The written tests will cover the following areas:
- General aptitude and language skills to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties linked to the post;
- Specific competences according to the profile required for the vacancy;
- Knowledge of the European integration and the institutions.
Upon completion of the assessment phase, a list of the most suitable candidates will be proposed to the Director by the selection assessment board. The successful candidate will then be appointed by the Director.
The contract that may be offered to the successful candidate is a Contract Agent three-year contract, function group III, subject to a probation period of nine months.
Contract Agent contracts are in accordance with article 3(a) of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities.
Under this type of contract, the employee is bound by the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants (CEOS) of the European Communities as well as the relevant Implementing Rules. The contract might be extended according to article 8 of the CEOS.
ETF will be bound to the contract offered only in case the successful candidate(s), prior to the contract signature, will have:
- provided original or certified copies of all relevant documents proving his/her eligibility, including a clean police report;
- undergone a compulsory medical examination that has established he/she meets the standard of physical fitness necessary to perform the duties involved.
You can find out more about the contractual conditions offered by the ETF in the Working with the ETF section of the ETF website.
The basic monthly salary of a Contract Agent Function Group III in the first step of grade 8 is approximately EUR 2,400 before any deductions or allowances.
- Remuneration will be based on the Community scale of salaries. Pay is subject to Community tax and other deductions laid down in the Staff Regulations. Remuneration is, however, exempt from any national taxation.
- In addition to the basic salary, staff members may be entitled to various allowances, in particular family allowances, expatriation allowance (4% or 16% of basic salary) and, if applicable, of household and dependent child allowances.
Submission of applications
Candidates are invited to send their applications via the ‘Job vacancies’ section of the ETF website.
Applications may also be sent by fax to the ETF HR Unit at the following number:
(+39) 011 630 23 88.
In order to be considered, applications must be received by the closing date for submission and, if sent by fax, clearly quote the reference number ETF/REC/10/03.
The closing date for the submission of applications is 3rd May 2010 at 23.59 (Central European Time). Due to the high volume of applications, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted further. The ETF is an equal opportunities employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
The following documents must be provided in English:
- A typed motivation letter of no more than one page, explaining why the candidate is interested in the post and what her/his added value would be to the ETF if selected;
- A curriculum vitae using the Europass CV format, available on the ETF website (other formats will not be considered);
- At least two sets of contact details for past or current employers (to be specified under the “Additional Information” paragraph of the Europass CV form) that the ETF will use as references;
- The form named ‘Selection criteria form’ available on the ETF website detailing the candidate’s professional experience in support of each of the points under the Selection Criteria section;
- At least two articles published (no more than 5 pages in total).
If any one of the above listed documents is missing or eligibility criteria are not met, the application will not progress any further.
- Equivalent to C1 level as defined in the Europass CV instructions.
- Equivalent to B1 level as defined in the Europass CV instructions.
Selection criteria form to be filled in and attached to your application
You can download the pdf version of the vacancy