|INTER-AGENCY JOB MARKET|
VACANCY NOTICE N° ETF/IAJM/08/01
In order to promote mobility of Temporary Agents between Agencies in the framework of the Inter Agency Job Market Agreement, the ETF (European Training Foundation) wishes to inform staff from all EU Regulatory Agencies of the vacant post of
Head of Financial, Contract and Procurement Support Unit
Please note that this selection is restricted to staff of the European Regulatory Agencies
In accordance with the Inter-Agency Job Market agreement, staff members from agencies not yet having signed the agreement can also apply.
Contract type and grade: Open to Temporary Agents in Function Group AD with a grade between 9 and 11
Closing date for applications: 18 June 2008
Contract: Initial contract duration: three years (subject to a probation period of six months)
Job profile (summary)
Reporting directly to the Head of the Administration Department, the Head of Financial Contract and Procurement Support (FINCOP) Unit is a middle manager and as such will lead a team of approximately 10 people. He/she will be responsible for the development and correct implementation of all the financial and procurement related processes within a strongly regulated environment.
The ETF is an EU agency whose mission is to help transition and developing countries to harness the potential of their human resources through the reform of education, training and labour market systems in the context of the EU's external relations policy. We base our work on the conviction that human resources development in a lifelong learning perspective can make a fundamental contribution to increasing prosperity, creating sustainable growth and encouraging social inclusion in transition economies.
The ETF is based in Turin, northern Italy, and has a staff of approximately 130. Further information on our activities can be found on our website: http://www.etf.europa.eu.
The ETF offers an exciting working environment with flexible work organisation and high levels of individual responsibility. As a learning and knowledge sharing organisation, we promote and offer excellent opportunities for the continued professional development of our staff.
Within the Administration Department, the FINCOP Unit has the mission to develop and implement services and tools that ensure the agency respects the rules and regulatory obligations associated with financial and procurement management.
The unit acts in 4 main thematic areas: budget development, budgetary implementation advice and support, procurement and accounting.
Reporting directly to the Head of the Administration Department, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Acting as a people manager for the FINCOP Unit staff by:
- setting business and developmental objectives at individual level;
- organising the allocation of work;
- assessing performance throughout the year;
- providing regular guidance, feedback and direction in order to support their successful development, performance, and achievement of objectives.
- Ensuring the successful integration of contract and procurement support services, within the FINCOP Unit1;
- Ensuring the adoption of a revised Financial Regulation and related implementing rules adapted to the ETF reality;
- Defining the policies of the Unit and organising the correct functioning of the Unit ensuring continuity of services;
- Defining and implementing a system of quality monitoring and control (including ex-post control) for the FINCOP Unit products and services;
- Develop and maintain contacts with key external stakeholders such as the Court of Auditors, the European Commission, the Finance and Procurement Units of other Agencies and ETF bank;
- Establishing and maintaining a continuative, constructive and effective communication with the internal clients;
- Offering regulatory advice on the implementation of the financial and procurement rules.
The applicants must have:
- an educational background including a university degree in a relevant field (e.g. management, business studies, finance, accounting or law). A post graduate specialisation in a relevant field will be considered an asset;
- at least 5 years of professional experience in a managerial position, of which at least 2 years in a European Regulatory Agency.
In addition to the above:
Required technical competences
- Ability to act as a leader with strong managerial skills;
- Project/process development and management skills;
- Knowledge of financial information systems and especially ABAC and/or Sincom 2;
- Direct professional experience in developing services in the framework of the Financial Regulations and their implementing rules (including procurement regulations);
- Very good knowledge2 of English;
- Good knowledge3 of French.
Required core competences
- Ability to encourage teamwork and teambuilding;
- Effective communication and negotiation skills;
- Analysis, synthesis and problem solving skills;
- Client/service orientation.
- Good knowledge3 of Italian;
- Active membership of related professional associations and/or certification;
- Proven experience in dealing with standards compliance procedures and risk assessment;
- Experience of working in a managerial role in a public sector organisation.
The candidate shall be employed in an Agency as referred to in Article 1 (1) of the Inter Agency Job Market Agreement as a temporary agent 2a on long term employment and be currently graded between AD 9 and AD11 and meet the criteria mentioned in article 3 (2) of the Inter Agency Job Market Agreement.
In accordance with the Inter-Agency Job Market agreement, staff members from agencies not yet having signed the agreement can also apply. Applications of internal candidates will be considered first as per article 3.3 of the Inter-Agency Job Market agreement.
The successful candidate will be offered a Temporary Agent contract, subject to a probation period of six months, for a three-year period, according to article 2(a) of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities. The contract might be extended according to article 8 of the CEOS.
Eligibility of candidates will be assessed according to their compliance with all eligibility criteria on the closing date for the submission of applications. The Recruitment Assessment Board will assess the competences and skills of all applicants and will invite the most suitable candidates for an interview.
Interviews are expected to take place during the week of 14-18 July 2008 and will be held mainly in English.
Candidates invited for an interview might be asked to undergo a written technical test.
Please note that the Recruitment Assessment Board’s work and deliberations are strictly confidential and that any contact with the Board members is strictly forbidden. References will be checked.
Upon completion of the interviews and tests, a reserve list of the most suitable candidates will be proposed to the Director by the Recruitment Assessment Board. The successful candidate will be appointed by the Director.
Prior to contract signature, the successful candidate will be asked:
- to provide original or certified copies of all relevant documents proving his/her eligibility, including an extract from his/her national police record;
- to undergo a compulsory medical examination to establish that he/she meets the standard of physical fitness necessary to perform the duties involved.
Submission of applications
Interested candidates are invited to send their applications via the ‘Job vacancies’ section of the ETF website. The following documents must be provided in English:
- a typed motivation letter of no more than one page, explaining why the candidate is interested in the post and what her/his added value would be to the ETF if selected;
- a curriculum vitae using the Europass CV format, available on the ETF website (other formats will not be considered);
- at least two sets of contact details for past or current significant employers (under the “Additional Information” paragraph of the Europass CV form) that the ETF will use as references.
Applications may also be sent by fax to the ETF HR Unit at the following number: (+39) 011 630 23 88.
Only applications submitted online through the ETF website or by fax and using the Europass CV format will be accepted.
In order to be considered, applications must be received by the closing date for submission and, if sent by fax, must clearly quote the reference number ETF/IAJM/08/01.
Closing date for the submission of applications: 18 June 2008 at 23.59 (Central European Time).
The ETF is an equal opportunities employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
EU legislation on personal data protection and confidentiality of information will apply to all personal data collected for this selection process. The application documents provided during the selection procedure will not be returned to candidates, but will be kept on file at the ETF.
1. Services previously provided by another ETF Unit
2. Equivalent to minimum C1 level for all dimensions as defined in the Europass CV instructions
3. Equivalent to minimum B1 level for all dimensions as defined in the Europass CV instructions
Inter-Agency Job Market agreement
You can download the pdf version of the vacancy notice