|Vacancy notice ETF/REC/10/09|
Junior Legal Advisor
Contract: Temporary Agent - Function group AD, grade 5
Contract duration: 3 years (subject to a probation period of 6 months)
The Employer: European Training Foundation
The European Training Foundation (ETF) is an EU agency that helps transition and developing countries to reform their education, training and labour market systems.
At the ETF we believe that the development of human resources through education and training is vital in encouraging social inclusion in transition countries.
Our purpose is to improve people’s lives, increase local prosperity and create sustainable growth. Our work in human capital development (HCD) is part of the EU’s external relations policy.
Based in Torino, northern Italy, the ETF has a staff of approximately 130 people.
The ETF provides an exciting and flexible working environment with a high level of individual responsibility. As a learning and sharing organisation we encourage and offer our staff excellent opportunities for continued professional development.
To find out more about the ETF and what we do, please go to: http://www.etf.europa.eu.
The Recruiting Unit
The vacancy is within the Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit (PMEU), which reports to the Director.
The unit works along the lines of activity described below:
- Contributes to ETF’s strategic planning process by co-ordinating the institution’s dialogue with its main stakeholder, the European Commission;
- Prepares the ETF’s main statutory planning and reporting documents: three-year Medium-Term Perspective; Annual Work Programme; and Annual Activity Report;
- Is responsible for monitoring and evaluating operational activities to measure the achievement of ETF objectives. PMEU is also in charge of the preparation and distribution of Progress quarterly reports;
- Contributes to the enhancement of the ETF's capacity to manage its performance, effectiveness and efficiency by coordinating the implementation of the Internal Control Standards, activities related to risk management, ex-post audits and liaison with the Internal Audit Service of the European Commission;
- Manages the ETF’s Governing Board to ensure the discharge of its statutory obligations and its active contribution to the work of the ETF;
- Is in charge of a multiannual project to facilitate the exchanges of information and experiences among donors on HRD issues in partner countries ;
- Provides timely legal advice and support to the assessment of legal risks on request of ETF managers and process owners;
- Processes re-engineering and procedures management function at corporate level, including development of software solutions.
The Job Profile
Reporting to the Head of the Planning Monitoring and Evaluation Unit,the incumbent will support the Legal Advisor of the Agency and contribute to the achievement of the ETF objectives.
The successful candidate will:
- Contribute to provision of legal advice, information and analysis to managers and process owners on legal related issues pertaining to the ETF activities in close collaboration with concerned colleagues and parties;
- Draft of opinions, synthesis notes, briefs, reports and documents on the EU administrative law pertaining to the application of relevant procurement and financial regulations as well as to Staff Regulations of officials and Conditions of employment of other servants of the European Communities (CEOS);
- Contribute to the work plan on legal issues and ensure compliance with existing rules, regulations and applicable legal basis;
- Provide information, advice and / or support in the management of procedures, processes and in all other issues as appropriate;
- Support the monitoring of case laws relevant to ETF activities.
- Contribute to the analysis, follow-up and provision of advice on legal, regulatory and institutional aspects of projects and project proposals, e.g. drafting of international contracts, partnership agreements and memoranda of understanding;
- Contribute to the drafting of internal corporate rules and internal administrative guidelines including legal and good governance advice with the aim of ensuring adequate control of legal risks;
- Provide support to managers and process owners in the assessment and management of legal risks relating to their activities;
- Contribute and adhere to the promotion of the respect of norms, codes of conduct, procedures and control standards;
- Participate in meetings, working groups and task forces with EU institutions, Member States and other bodies to represent the Agency.
To be eligible, applicants must satisfy the following requirements by the closing date for the submission of applications:
- Be a national of an EU Member State;
- Enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- Have fulfilled any obligations of military service as required by national law;
- Be physically fit to perform the duties of the position;
- Have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma
- Have a thorough knowledge in one of the languages of the Community countries and have a satisfactory knowledge of another, to the extent that they can communicate well enough to perform their duties.
Applicants must have a university degree in law.
REQUIRED CORE COMPETENCES
Evidence for these core competences will be demonstrated during the interview.
- Good developed analysing skills – i.e. ability to grasp and analyse complex and wide-ranging questions, issues or information. Tackle issues and problems in a logical, step by step way using a legal mindset/approach;
- Good adapting skills – i.e. ability to adapt programmes and views proposing ways to meet context needs and to work well in situations that require openness to different ideas and experiences. Ability to manage different situations and/or problems with an open approach;
- Good developed organising and execution skills, i.e. ability to design and implement suitable solutions, to achieve tangible results whilst fulfilling commitments (deadlines, objectives etc) and respecting high standards of performance;
- Good team working skills – i.e. ability to establish and maintain excellent working relations at all levels in the multicultural context of ETF both at team and individual levels. Ability to share within a group a common goal and the responsibility for achieving it;
- Being service oriented.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL COMPETENCES
Evidence for these technical competences should be demonstrated by previous studies, assignments and their outcomes as indicated in the CV and in the Selection Criteria Form as well as during the interview.
- Knowledge and understanding of EC administrative law and implementing provisions in the field of HR management, financial management, procurement and contract management;
- Skills and/or experience in providing legal advice, drafting contractual and legal documents and supporting development of procedures;
- Knowledge and understanding of risk assessment and risk management;
- Very good knowledge1 of English;
- Very good drafting skills in English;
- Knowledge of European integration and the institutions.
- Legal skills acquired operating within an international and multicultural environment;
- A post-graduate qualification in law or another relevant field (e.g. management, HR, finance, accountancy);
- Experience to plea into EU Courts;
- Good knowledge2 of Italian and French;
- Active membership of related professional associations and/or certification.
The selection procedure will be carried out in two phases:
Phase 1 – Screening of Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Candidates will be assessed according to compliance with the eligibility criteria.
- The selection assessment board will then consider the competences of eligible applicants based on the information provided in the CV and invite the most suitable candidates to the second phase.
- Candidates selected for the second phase will be notified via email.
Phase 2 – Interviews and Tests
Please note that the selection assessment board’s work and deliberations are strictly confidential and any contact with the board members is prohibited.
- Candidates short-listed will then be called for an interview with the selection assessment board.
- Interviews are expected to take place in November 2010 and will be held in English.
- Candidates will also be asked to undergo a series of written tests. The written tests will cover the following areas:
- General aptitude and language skills to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties linked to the post;
- Specific competences according to the profile required for the vacancy;
- Knowledge of the European integration and the institutions.
Upon completion of the assessment phase, a list of the most suitable candidates will be proposed to the Director by the selection assessment board. The successful candidate will then be appointed by the Director who may also decide to establish a reserve list including other suitable candidates.
This reserve list will be valid for up to twelve months from the date of the establishment of the list and its duration may be modified by decision of the Director.
Inclusion on the reserve list does not guarantee recruitment.
When a Junior Legal Advisor position becomes vacant, the Director may choose to offer a contract of employment to a candidate from the established reserve list.
The contract that may be offered to the successful candidate is a Temporary Agent three-year contract, function group AD 5, subject to a probation period of six months.
Temporary Agent contracts are in accordance with article 2(a) of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities (CEOS).
Under this type of contract, the employee is bound by the CEOS of the European Communities as well as the relevant Implementing Rules. The contract might be extended according to article 8 of the CEOS.
ETF will be bound to the contract offered only in case the successful candidate(s), prior to the contract signature, will have:
- provided original or certified copies of all relevant documents proving his/her eligibility, including a clean police report;
- undergone a compulsory medical examination that has established he/she meets the standard of physical fitness necessary to perform the duties involved.
You can find out more about the contractual conditions offered by the ETF in the Working with the ETF section of the ETF website.
- The basic monthly salary of a Temporary Agent Function Group AD, grade 5 is approximately EUR 4,200 before any deductions or allowances.
- Remuneration will be based on the Community scale of salaries. Pay is subject to Community tax and other deductions laid down in the Staff Regulations. Remuneration is, however, exempt from any national taxation.
- In addition to the basic salary, staff members may be entitled to various allowances, in particular family allowances, expatriation allowance (4% or 16% of basic salary) and, if applicable, of household and dependent child allowances.
Submission of applications
Candidates are invited to send their applications via the 'Job vacancies' section of the ETF website.
The following documents must all be provided in English:
- A typed motivation letter of no more than one page, explaining why the candidate is interested in the post and what her/his added value would be to the ETF if selected;
- A curriculum vitae using the Europass CV format, available on the ETF website (other formats will not be considered);
- At least two sets of contact details for past or current employers (to be specified under the “Additional Information” paragraph of the Europass CV form) that the ETF will use as references;
- The form named ‘Selection criteria form’ available on the ETF website detailing the candidate’s professional experience in support of each of the points under the Selection Criteria section.
Applications may also be sent by fax to the ETF HR Unit at the following number: (+39) 011 630 23 88.
Please note that only applications submitted online through the ETF website or by fax and using the Europass CV format will be accepted.
In order to be considered, applications must be received by the closing date for submission and, if sent by fax, clearly quote the reference number ETF/REC/10/09.
If any one of the formal requirements or eligibility criteria above is not met, the application will not progress any further.
The closing date for the submission of applications is 10thOctober 2010 at 23.59 (Central European Time). Due to the high volume of applications, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted further. The ETF is an equal opportunities employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
EU legislation on personal data protection and confidentiality of information will apply to all personal data collected for this selection process.
The application documents provided during the selection procedure will not be returned to candidates, but will be kept on file at the ETF.
- Equivalent to minimum C1 level for all dimensions as defined in the Europass CV instructions
- Equivalent to minimum B1 level for all dimensions as defined in the Europass CV instructions.
Selection criteria form to be filled in and attached to your application:
You can download the pdf version of the vacancy: