|Traineeship notice ETF/TRA/11/02
Traineeship in the Planning Monitoring and Evaluation Unit of ETF
on Monitoring activities
Duration: 6 months – from 1st or 16th July 2011
The Employer: European Training Foundation (ETF)
The European Training Foundation (ETF) is an EU agency that helps transition and developing countries1 to reform their education, training and labour market systems.
At the ETF we believe that the development of human resources through education and training is vital in encouraging social inclusion in transition countries.
Our purpose is to improve people’s lives, increase local prosperity and create sustainable growth. Our work in human capital development (HCD) is part of the EU’s external relations policy.
Based in Torino, northern Italy, the ETF has a staff of approximately 130 people.
The ETF provides an exciting and flexible working environment with a high level of individual responsibility. As a learning and sharing organisation we encourage and offer our staff excellent opportunities for continued professional development.
To find out more about the ETF and what we do, please go to www.etf.europa.eu.
The Unit: Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit (PMEU)
The trainee position is available within the Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit (PMEU), which co-ordinates and contributes to the ETF’s strategic planning process by coordinating the institution’s dialogue with its main stakeholder and the European Commission.
As part of strategic planning, PMEU produces and undertakes policy assessments and environmental analyses which provide ETF staff with inputs for a development strategy and work program by capturing inputs and suggestions provided by the main stakeholders.
The main activities are twofold:
- PMEU drives the ETF’s performance measurement framework which covers the ETF's capacity to manage its performance, effectiveness and efficiency by coordinating the implementation of the Internal Control Standards, risk management, audits, monitoring and evaluation, legal advice function and the re-engineering and procedures management function including software development at corporate level.
- The Unit also manages the ETF’s statutory Governing Board to ensure the discharge of its statutory obligations and its active contribution to the work of the ETF.
For more detailed information, please refer to the ETF Work Programme 2011.
At the end of the traineeship, the trainee should have:
- a better understanding of ETF’s strategic planning process, main statutory planning and reporting documents;
- a better understanding of EU institutions, their functioning and interaction as well as EU external relations policies and international activities of relevance to the activities of the ETF;
- hands-on experience on project management, including project monitoring, project implementation;
- hands-on experience in working in an international organisation;
- put into practice knowledge and skills developed during his/her studies.
Under the supervision of the Head of the PMEU and his/her Tutor, the trainee will be hosted in the Monitoring and Evaluation project.
The trainee will be familiarised with the Corporate Performance Indicator System and the Dashboard IT tool which records the progress in the implementation of projects according to a number of parameters (budget, financial resources time allocated, among others) and s/he will carry out activities with a specific focus on:
- the monitoring activities and
- in particular on the contribution to the preparation of Quarterly reports 2 and 3.
To be eligible, applicants must satisfy the following requirements by the closing date for the submission of applications:
- Be a national of an EU Member State or ETF partner country or territory2. Priority will be given to applicants coming from ETF partner countries.
- Enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- Have recently graduated at post-secondary or at university level or are about to graduate in a relevant field and who are required to undertake a period of work experience as an integral part of their course;
- Have very good3 knowledge of English, the main working language at the ETF in order for the trainee to fully profit from the internship and to be able to follow meetings and perform adequately;
- Neither having already benefited or benefit from any kind of internship or in-service training (formal or informal, paid or unpaid) within a European institution or body,
Nor having had or have any kind of employment within a European institution, body or agency, including anyone who is or has been working as an interim staff member, intra-muros consultant or expert.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL COMPETENCES
- Familiarity with public policies, preferably in the field of Vocational Education and Training;
- Educational and/or recent professional background in project management and be familiar with the Logical Framework approach,
- Basic knowledge and/or experience with financial issues and monitoring
- High degree of computer literacy, particularly in spreadsheet and word processing packages (such as Excel and Word for Windows).
REQUIRED CORE COMPETENCES
- Good developed organising and execution skills, i.e. ability to design and implement suitable solutions, to achieve tangible results whilst fulfilling commitments and respecting high standards of performance;
- Good analysing skills;
- Good team working skills;
- Good communication skills;
- Being service orientated.
- Knowledge of English at level C1 in all dimensions as defined in the Europass CV instructions
- Knowledge of EU external relations policies.
The selection procedure will be carried out in two phases:
Phase 1 – screening of eligibility and selection criteria
- Candidates will be assessed according to compliance with the eligibility criteria.
- The selection assessment board will then consider the competences of eligible applicants on the basis of the CV provided and invite the most suitable candidates to the second phase.
- Candidates selected for the second phase will be notified via email.
Phase 2 – interviews
- Candidates short-listed will then be called for a phone interview with the selection assessment board
- Interviews are expected to take place between May and June 2011 and will be held in English.
Upon completion of the assessment phase, a list of the most suitable candidates will be proposed to the Director by the selection assessment board. The successful candidate will then be appointed by the Director.
- The monthly grant awarded to a trainee is EUR 1, 000 net
- Travel expenses incurred in order to take up their duties from and back to their place of residence are reimbursed upon provision of the relevant travel documents.
- Visa and ‘Permesso di soggiorno’ related administrative expenses are reimbursed upon provision of the related supporting documents.
It is recommended to read carefully the ETF Internship Scheme available on the website.
Submission of applications
Candidates are invited to send their applications via the ETF website.
The reference number related to the traineeship must be clearly quoted in the documentation submitted, i.e. ETF/TRA/11/02.
The following documents must be provided in English:
- A typed motivation letter of no more than one page, explaining why the candidate is interested in this specific traineeship and what her/his added value would be to the ETF if selected;
- A curriculum vitae using the Europass CV format, available on the ETF website (other formats will not be considered);
- The form named ‘Declaration on Honour form’ available on the ETF website.
Please note that only applications submitted online through the ETF website and using the Europass CV format will be accepted.
If any one of the formal requirements or eligibility criteria above is not met, the application will not progress any further.
The closing date for the submission of applications is 15th May 2010 at 23.59 (Central European Time). Due to the high volume of applications, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted further. The ETF is an equal opportunities employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
- The ETF partner countries and territories are: Albania, Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Egypt, former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Georgia, Iceland, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo (under UNSCR 1244), Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Montenegro, Morocco, Occupied Palestinian Territory, Republic of Moldova, Russian Federation, Serbia, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.
- See footnote 1.
- Equivalent to B2 level as per the level scale of the common European framework of reference for languages.
Declaration on Honour form to be filled in and attached to your application:
You can download the pdf version of the traineeship:
ETF Internship Scheme: