|Vacancy notice ETF/REC/10/01|
Head of Financial, Contract and Procurement Support Unit
Contract: Temporary Agent - Function group AD, grade 9
The Employer: ETF
The European Training Foundation (ETF) is an EU agency that helps transition and developing countries to reform their education, training and labour market systems.
At the ETF we believe that the development of human resources through education and training is vital in encouraging social inclusion in transition countries.
Our purpose is to improve people’s lives, increase local prosperity and create sustainable growth. Our work in human capital development (HCD) is part of the EU’s external relations policy.
Based in Torino, northern Italy, the ETF has a staff of approximately 130 people. The ETF provides an exciting and flexible working environment with a high level of individual responsibility. As a learning and sharing organisation we encourage and offer our staff excellent opportunities for continued professional development. To find out more about the ETF and what we do, please go to www.etf.europa.eu.
The post will be offered within the Financial, Contract and Procurement Support (FINCOP) Unit which reports directly to the Head of Administration. Within the Administration Department, the FINCOP Unit has the mission to develop, update and implement processes, tools and methods that ensure the agency respects the rules and regulatory obligations associated with financial and procurement management.
The unit acts in 3 main thematic areas: budget development, budgetary implementation advice and support, procurement.
The Job Profile
Reporting directly to the Head of the Administration Department, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Providing advice and support to management on financial, budget and procurement issues and promoting sound financial management across the Agency;
- Ensuring the development and uniform implementation of financial, budget and procurement procedures and tools across the agency in line with the applicable rules and regulations;
- Planning, monitoring and reporting on financial, budget and procurement activities;
- Carrying out controls, risk analysis and reviews, and proposing and, where applicable, implementing corrective measures;
- Ensuring documentation of financial, budget and procurement procedures, providing training and information to financial actors across the Agency;
- Coordinating internal networks on financial and procurement issues;
- Maintaining relations and exchange of information and good practice with Commission and Agency financial services;
- Ensuring the effective and efficient management of the human, financial and technical resources of the Unit.
To be eligible, applicants must satisfy the following requirements by the closing date for the submission of applications:
1. Be a national of an EU Member State;
2. Enjoy full rights as a citizen;
3. Have fulfilled any obligations of military service as required by national law;
4. Be physically fit to perform the duties of the position;
5. Have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least four years attested by a diploma, followed by at least twelve years of appropriate professional experience;
orHave a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma, followed by at least thirteen years of appropriate professional experience;
6. Have a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Communities and satisfactory knowledge of another language of the Communities to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties.
Applicants must have:
- an educational background, including a university degree, in a relevant field (e.g. management, business studies, finance, accounting or law). A post graduate specialisation in a relevant field will be considered an asset;
- at least 5 years of experience in staff and process management.
- Ability to act as a leader and to manage people;
- Knowledge and experience in project and process management;
- Knowledge and experience of financial management and/or procurement;
- Knowledge of financial information systems;
- Very good knowledge1 of English;
- Knowledge of European integration and the institutions.
KEY CORE COMPETENCES
- Ability to encourage teamwork and teambuilding;
- Effective communication and negotiation skills;
- Highly developed analysis, synthesis and problem solving skills;
- Service orientation.
- Active membership of related professional associations and/or certification;
- Proven experience in dealing with standards compliance procedures and risk assessment;
- Experience of working in a managerial role in a public sector organisation;
- Good knowledge2 of French;
- Working experience in a multicultural environment.
The selection procedure will be carried out in three phases.
PHASE 1 – SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
Candidates are invited to send their applications via the ‘Job vacancies’ section of the ETF website. The following documents must be provided in English:
- a typed motivation letter of no more than one page, explaining why the candidate is interested in the post and what added value s/he would bring to the ETF if selected;
- a curriculum vitae using the Europass CV format, available on the ETF website (other formats will not be considered);
- at least two sets of contact details for past or current employers (to be included under the “Additional Information” paragraph of the Europass CV form) that the ETF will use as references;
- the “Selection criteria form” available on the ETF website detailing the candidate’s professional experience in support of each of the points under the Selection criteria section.
Applications may also be sent by fax to the ETF HR Unit at the following number: (+39) 011 630 23 88.
Please note that only applications submitted online through the ETF website or by fax and using the Europass CV format will be accepted.
In order to be considered, applications must be received by the closing date for submission and, if sent by fax, clearly quote the reference number ETF/REC/10/01.
If any one of the formal requirements or eligibility criteria above is not met, the application will not progress any further.
PHASE 2 – SCREENING OF ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION CRITERIA
Candidates will be assessed according to compliance with the eligibility criteria.
The selection assessment board will then consider the competences of eligible applicants on the basis of the CV provided and invite the most suitable candidates to the following phase.
Candidates selected for the third phase will be notified via email.
PHASE 3 – INTERVIEWS, TESTS AND ASSESSMENT CENTRE
Selected candidates will be invited to the third phase that will include the following steps:
A. A telephone/video conference interview with the selection assessment board, who will establish a list of suitable candidates to be invited to the following step.
B. An interview with the selection assessment board and a set of written tests that will cover the following areas:
- general aptitude and language skills to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties linked to the post;
- specific competences according to the profile required for the vacancy;
- knowledge of the European integration and the institution.
Shortlisted candidates after this step might be then may be required to go through an assessment centre (see step C).
Step A and step B are expected to take place in March 2010. All interviews and tests will be held in English.
C. An Assessment Centre, run by external consultants that could take place in April 2010.
Upon completion of Phase 3, a list of the most suitable candidates will be proposed to the Director by the selection assessment board. The successful candidate will then be appointed by the Director.
Please note that the selection assessment board’s work and deliberations are strictly confidential and any contact with the board members is prohibited.
The contract that may be offered to the successful candidate is a Temporary Agent three-year contract, function group AD, grade 9, subject to a probation period of six months.
Temporary Agent contracts are in accordance with article 2(a) of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities. Under this type of contract, the employee is bound by the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities as well as the relevant Implementing Rules.
Prior to contract signature, the successful candidate(s) will be asked:
- to provide original or certified copies of all relevant documents proving his/her eligibility, including an extract from his/her national police file;
- to undergo a compulsory medical examination to establish that he/she meets the standard of physical fitness necessary to perform the duties involved.
You can find out more about the contractual conditions offered by the ETF in the “Working with the ETF” section of the ETF website.
The basic monthly salary of a Temporary Agent in the first step of AD 9 grade is approximately EUR 7.000 before any deductions or allowances.
Remuneration will be based on the Community scale of salaries.
Pay is subject to Community tax and other deductions laid down in the Staff Regulations. Remuneration is, however, exempt from any national taxation.
In addition to the basic salary, staff members may be entitled to various allowances, in particular family allowances, expatriation allowance (4% or 16% of basic salary and, if applicable, of household and dependent child allowances).
Further details about the contractual conditions offered by the ETF can be found in the “Working with the ETF” section of the ETF website.
Closing Date for submission of applications
4 March 2010 at 23.59 (Central European Time)
Due to the high volume of applications, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted further.
The ETF is an equal opportunities employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
The application documents provided during the selection procedure will not be returned to candidates, but will be kept on file at the ETF.
1.Equivalent to minimum C1 level for all dimensions as defined in the Europass CV instructions.
2. Equivalent to minimum B1 level for all dimensions as defined in the Europass CV instructions.
Selection criteria form to be filled in and attached to your application
You can download the pdf version of the vacancy